Home | Community | Search Homes | Buying Information | Selling Information | REO Services | Sitemap

NorthwestFloridaRealtor.com Has Become NorthwestFloridaRealEstateAgent.com.
Please update your bookmarks!

Community -> Washington County -> Chipley
Chipley Utilities | Chipley Recreation

Chipley

Welcome to Chipley, Florida.

There are 5 residential real estate listings for sale in Chipley.
There are 0 commercial real estate listings for sale in Chipley.
There are 5 vacant land real estate listings for sale in Chipley.
There are 10 total real estate listings for sale in Chipley.

11 Real Estate Listings Found

Displaying 1 to 10

1.   784349
1276 Fairway Drive, Chipley
$589,900.00
3571 square feet, 3/3/2, 1986

2.   783443
33 Pike Pond Rd, Chipley
$1,818,750.00

3.   782596
1860 Pettis Road, Chipley
$124,995.00
1296 square feet, 3/2, 1977

4.   781993
4029 Chapel Avenue, Chipley
$115,000.00
1171 square feet, 2/2, 1986

5.   781179
3120 Bonnett Pond, Chipley
$129,000.00
2080 square feet, 3/2, 1982

6.   763398
4407 Ada Drive, Chipley
$99,999.00
1328 square feet, 3/2, 1991

7.   758609
Lot 2 Butterfield Court, Chipley
$49,000.00

8.   752026
0000 Covington Place , #lot 4,5,6, Chipley
$29,700.00

9.   751749
5223 Pine Ridge, Chipley
$238,000.00
1932 square feet, 3/2, 2001

10.   734664
978 Joiner Road, Chipley
$89,000.00


1 | 2 |

History of Chipley

Chipley began as a small community named Orange but was officially renamed in 1882. The original name, Orange, probably came from Orange Hill, the most prominent neighboring community. That same year, the Pensacola and Atlantic Railroad (which would become the L and N) was finished near the town proper.

Oddly enough, even though Washington County is "dry" (the sale of alcohol within the county is prohibited) today, Chipley's first commercial venture was a wine shop opened in town in 1881 and owned by B. W. Berry; he also owned a whiskey distillery created before Prohibition on a parcel of land that became Falling Waters State Park and Recreation Center almost a century later, on Chipley's south side on Highway 77.

Berry's businesses ended in 1899 however; Washington County residents voted to prohibit the manufacture or sale of alcoholic beverages within its boundaries. The measure passed narrowly.

In 1882, a railroad station was constructed near what is now named Tank Pond as well as the present site of City Hall and the Agricultural Center. Water from Tank Pond was pumped into a raised tank which, along with quantities of wood, refuelled steam-driven locomatives.

Initially, a town was planned to be located a on Tank Pond's east side near the railroad (where the National Egg Laying Test Site (also called the Poultry Experiment Station) can now be found). However, at that time the site was just across the Jackson County border, a situation that rallied promoters from Orange Hill and Washington County to plat the site there. They envisioned the proposed new town as the county seat, which obviously could not happen inside Jackson County. The well-established city of Marianna had not only been Jackson County's seat for the past fifty years but was also the largest town on the rail line east of Pensacola.

The new town's promoters, Colonel D. H. Horne, Captain Angus McMillan, Captain G. W. Cook, Major W. J. Vankirk, and J. M. Callaway, and others, visited railroad manager Colonel W. D. Chipley and proposed having the new town site platted in Washington County. Convinced by this group, Colonel Chipley accepted the proposal. Major Vankirk acquired a vast expanse of 80 vacant acres and had it surveyed by Colonel Horne. These 80 acres became the new town's basic commercial district. The town was named Chipley by the promoters in Colonel Chipley's honor.

However, as Chipley grew, the north and east areas of town spread across the Jackson County border. The school board officials and local law enforcement sounded jurisdictional concerns, so an adjustment to the county border was made during 1915 that granted Washington County in general and Chipley in particular more room to grow.

Chipley's first post office and railway station were first housed in railroad boxcars. The first school in Chipley, Limestone, was named after the Limestone Church and located a half mile outside of town. When the town was incorporated in 1886, Limestone School's name became Chipley. It was located near where the county jail stands today. The Methodist Church atop the Jackson Street hill was built in the same period.

William Tiller and Mr. Matthew were Chipley's first local merchants. Chipley's first druggist was H.D. Feagan. Dr. R. B. Bellamy was Chipley's first physician; Dr. A. D. Brown was the first dentist. Mr. Thompson was the first lawyer.

Soon, Major Vankirk began dividing his 90 acres and selling vacant lots from it. He priced a 7,000 square-foot commercial lot on the rail line for $40, and a residential lot behind those for half the price. Besides being the first merchant, William Tiller was also one of Chipley's first residents, along with Captain MacMillan and Ed Daniel. They were soon joined by more townspeople, including Sol Ellis, T. J. Jones, Dave Farrior, Dr. Bellamy, J. M. Callaway, Henry Faust, and Billy and Daniel Willims. A Baptist Church built in 1889 was later bought by G. M. Meyers.

A boarding-house named The Collier House was built before 1890 near the present-day Chipley Motel. In 1890 construction ended on the Chipley Hotel.

Private bankers Dekle & Company arrived in Chipley in 1899 and provided its first private banking services. The First National Bank was organized in 1905, and the Chipley State Bank was formed a year later.

Chipley was reincorporated in 1901, and the city authorized $10,000 in bond money to install a municipal water system and a school. The Presbyterian Church was built in 1902.

Dekle & Company became Chipley's first bankers in 1899. The First National Bank opened in 1905, and the Chipley State Bank was organized in 1906.

The Birmingham Columbus & St. Andrews Bay Railroad began building rails that ran south of Chipley in 1905. Five years later, a $22,000 bond paid for improvements to the water system, and in 1913 the city began Chipley Light & Power Company, an electric light system. CL&PC later expanded and built and ice-making plant.

In 1919, a $60,000 in bond money was issued to finance a sewer system and more modernizations to the water system. In 1922, some of Chipley's first streets were paved and a year later, sidewalks were installed.

Gulf Power Company bought CL&PC in 1926 and was granted permission to supply Chipley with electricity. The next year, Chipley was named Washington County's seat of government, and a few years later a courthouse and jail were constructed.

Information provided by the City of Chipley. You can contact the Washington County Chamber of Commerce at:

Washington County Chamber of Commerce
685 7th Street
P.O. Box 457
Chipley, FL 32428
(850) 638-4157

Chipley Utilities

Electricity/Gas

City of Chipley
(850) 638-6350

Gulf Power
1-800-225-5797

West Florida Electric Co-Op
(850) 263-3231

Gulf Coast Electric Co-Op
(850) 265-3631

Water/Sewer

City of Chipley
(850) 638-6350

Garbage

City of Chipley
(850) 638-6350

Telephone

BellSouth
(850) 780-2344

Satellite/Cable

DirecTV
1-800-347-3288

Miscellaneous

Department of Motor Vehicles
1335 Cherry Avenue
Chipley, FL 32428
(850) 638-6155

Chipley Recreation

Parks

Falling Waters State Park
1130 State Park Road
Chipley, FL 32428

Blue Lake Park
1865 Highway 77
Chipley, FL 32428

Wages Lake
4476 Ada Drive
Chipley, FL 32428

Crystal Lake
3287 Crystal Lake Drive
Chipley, FL 32428

Daniels Lake
2610 Daniels Lake Road
Chipley, FL 32428

Gin Lake
1366 Gin Lake Drive
Chipley, FL 32428

Gap Lake
3953 Harbor Place
Chipley, FL 32428

Gin and Bream Lake
1365 Gin Lake Drive Chipley, FL 32428

Griffin Landing
3884 Cavalier Drive
Chipley, FL 32428

Litard Log Boat Ramp
1844 Litard Log Road
Chipley, FL 32428

Little River Lake
3915 Little River Road
Chipley, FL 32428

Lucas Lake
3474 Lucas Lake Road
Chipley, FL 32428

Porter Lake Retreat II
3516 Lakeside Drive
Chipley, FL 32428

St. Joseph Park
1350 Monroe Sheffield Road
Chipley, FL 32428

Stewart Lake
3210 Sweet Water Trail
Chipley, FL 32428

Tom Johns Landing
4909 Porter Pond Road
Chipley, FL 32428

White Double Lake
1377 Washington Blvd.
Chipley, FL 32428

Golf

Falling Waters Country Club
1317-A State Park Road
Chipley, FL 32428
(850) 638-7398


We are members of:
the National Association of Realtors, the MLS Listing Serivce, the Emerald Coast Association of Realtors, the Niceville Chamber of Commerce, the Tri-County Community Council, and the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation. Equal Housing Opportunity.
Our listings are featured on:
Yahoo! Real Estate, Homes.com, Homegain, Talking House, Google,
Trulia, Zillow, Craigslist, YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook.

Add us to your RSS reader! Add us to your RSS reader!

Website designed and maintained by DB Web Creations.